Getting away into the wildness of nature with your children is one of the best things you can do. Not only does it provide children with a healthy education through experience and adventure, but it also gives the family some precious time to bond over a communal experience. Sharing wonderful adventures – especially outdoors – brings families closer together, and gives them something to talk and laugh about for years to come.
One of the best adventures you can embark on with your children is to engage in some fun Kruger Park activities. Because the Kruger National Park is one of the prime wildlife destinations in the world, there is so much to do that you will be spoilt for choice. Kids love the exhilaration of encountering one of their favourite wild beasties while out on a game drive, and bringing them closer to nature during a hike through the African bush can spark their imaginations.
Here are some suggestions regarding wonderfully significant Kruger Park activities that you can embark on with your family that will create some lasting memories and wonderful bonding experiences.
- Walking Safaris: There are so many different walking safaris to choose from in the Kruger Park. Some are designed to be more appealing to the fitter type of adults, and others are geared towards maximising the experience of children out enjoying the wild, while still remaining safe. Very experienced guides and trackers are employed to conduct these hikes, and to keep the hikers safe. There is simply nothing like being out in nature and looking at all the wonders along the way, ranging from plants to insects.
- Thulamela Ruins: Kruger Park activities do not only include wildlife; there is an entirely significant and rich heritage to be found in this area. The Thulamela ruins date back to the very earliest of African culture, and is the site is one of the most important heritage sites in South Africa. This is the ancient burial site of an African king and queen who were buried with a rich bounty of gold. A stone citadel surrounds the area and indicates ample accommodation for around 1000 tribe members and even more surrounding civilians. Here, the main trade was with gold and ivory, and your trained and experienced guide can capture the imaginations of your children while weaving the rich fabrics of the stories that surround this ancient site.
- Mananga 4×4 Trail: For adults and children who love engaging in serious mechanical activity in natural surroundings, the Mananga trail is one of the best Kruger Park activities. It starts just west of the well-known Satara Restcamp, which is one of the densest game viewing areas in the reserve. While the trail is less than fifty kilometres long, it is a hard drive that includes sandy areas, dongas, river beds, and when things get tough, some really well-managed gravel roads. Only six vehicles per day are allowed on this trail, so it is best to book early.
- Hamilton’s Restaurant: We all need sustenance during some serious Kruger Park activities, and feeding the body and soul at Hamilton’s Restaurant is one of the best places to quench some serious thirst, and to enjoy wonderful African cuisine. Located just outside Malelane, this prime eatery focusses on local and seasonal produce to conjure up the most imaginative delicacies and food to feed the soul. For the kids, there is a wide range of tasty menu options that include handmade pasta that will appeal to everyone.
- Lukimbi Safari Lodge: Let’s face it, no safari adventure is quite complete without a stay at a wonderful safari lodge. One of the prime spots to stay during your Kruger Park activities is Lukimbi Safari Lodge. Here you can experience true African hospitality that you will never forget. After a long hike or a rough 4×4 drive, Lukimbi Safari Lodge is the best place to be. Not only does our lodge provide you with luxury that is affordable, but it is easy to reach and provides the best lodgings money can buy before and after you enjoy your Kruger Park activities. The best part is that a lot of these activities can be arranged straight from the lodge, and after a day in the dust and African landscapes, you can soothe your tired and exhilarated body in a wonderful bath, have a massage at our spa, enjoy a splash in the pool, and then admire the sights from the wonderful wooden deck. Your kids will never forget their stay at Lukimbi Safari Lodge.
If you are looking for some wonderful Kruger Park activities backed up by a stay in one of the most prestigious lodges in the reserve with affordable accommodation, give our team at Lukimbi Safari Lodge.