It’s that time of the year again, when everyone is planning their year-end holidays and if you’ve decided to whisk your entire family away to the Kruger National Park, then you’re in for the holiday of a lifetime. Millions of people from all over the world dream about experiencing the thrill and adventure of going on an authentic game drive at least once in their lives. With its adventurous fascination, the Kruger National Park has a charm that no other destination on planet Earth can even come close to. It’s simply a once-in-a-lifetime dream holiday destination.
Wondering what type of animals you will have the honour or running into? Here’s a list of the Big 5 and some of their characteristics:
- The Magnificent Lion – renowned as one of the most fascinating and magnificent animals on planet earth, the ferocious lion is celebrated as a symbol of strength and power. The King of the Jungle and the celebrity of the Kruger National Park, these magnificent carnivores can weigh up to 260 kilograms and can run up to 60 kilometres an hour. Boasting a unique mane, the lazy lion lives in prides and can easily sleep up to 20 hours a day.
- The Large African Elephant – celebrated as the planet’s largest mammal, the African elephant weighs up to 6 000 kilograms and measures up to 3.3m (10ft.) at the shoulder. A herbivore that boasts a large trunk that can easily pick up a blade of grass and rip branches off a tree, the elephant can easily consume between 100 and 200 kilograms of food a day, and drink around 200 litres of water a day. Boasting enormous ears that are shaped like the continent of Africa, elephants are very intelligent and display emotions of sadness, joy and compassion.
- The Ill-Tempered Buffalo – a large animal that has a large head, broad chest, strong legs and 2-stomachs, the buffalo is four times stronger than the ox and is renowned for killing more hunters than animals. Famous for its bad temper and horns that are shaped like a question mark, the ill-tempered buffalo can weigh as much as a tonne. The #1 enemy of the lion, the buffalo has an exceptional memory and very bad eyesight.
- The Fierce and Cunning Leopard – a powerful predator, the leopard is the strongest of all the big cats. Just like domestic cats, leopards will growl when angry and purr when content. Shy, agile and remarkably beautiful, these fierce carnivores are excellent climbers and can even carry their prey up trees with them. Nocturnal and cunning, when on a game drive in the Kruger National Park, don’t forget to look up, because that is where you’ll find them, staring down at you.
- The Loveable Rhinoceros – primitive looking, the rhinoceros is a thick-skinned, sharp-horned, short-sighted and bad-tempered herbivore that is simply spectacular to observe. Boasting thick, sensitive skin, this 50-million-year old mammal is currently in danger of extinction, and is highly protected in the Kruger National Park
If you’re looking for the perfect safari lodge to experience authentic game drives that both you and the kids can enjoy together, then look no further than our world-renowned Lukimbi Safari Lodge. Game drives at Lukimbi Safari Lodge are so much more than just game drives – they are authentic Indiana Jones adventures.